Golden, crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. The natural sweetness of the ripe bananas goes well with the spiciness of the Saigon cinnamon.
INGREDIENTS MAKES APPROX. 6 waffles
- 2 c. unbleached flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 heaped tsp. cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 ½ c. milk
- ¼ c. grape seed oil
- 1 c. (approx. 3 med.) very ripe bananas, mashed well
- Preheat the waffle maker. (I use the Waring Pro, Restaurant Style, Thick Belgian which comes with a measuring cup for the batter.)
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and proceed to make a well in the mixture.
- In a separate medium sized bowl combine milk, oil, and mashed bananas.
- Beat the egg yolks for approx. 1 minute, then add to the wet mixture.
- Fold the liquid mixture gently into the dry ingredients, just until mixed.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until white and frothy, then add to the mixture. This final step creates fluffier waffles.
- Measure the batter carefully so as not to overflow. Spread the batter with a spatula to make sure all of the grid marks are covered. Cook until timer sets off or desired colour is reached.