Cauliflower Potato Soup
A steaming bowl of homemade soup is the ultimate in comfort food! Roasting the cauliflower brings out its unique flavour and sweetness through caramelization. This soup has a creamy smooth texture without cream or dairy thanks to the addition of potatoes and my high-powered Vitamix Professional Series 750. If you would like a little more richness, add cream or dairy of your choice. It is a gluten-free recipe that can also be made vegan by omitting the butter and using olive oil, and replacing the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
Cauliflower is a great cancer fighting cruciferous vegetable. It is anti-inflammatory and antioxidant rich. Cauliflower is high in vitamin C, vitamin K and beta carotene. It supports healthy digestion and detoxification.
Gremolata is an Italian herb condiment consisting of parsley, garlic, lemon zest and olive oil. It is used here as a suggested garnish. Traditionally it is used in Veal Osso Bucco. It has many other uses including grilled meats, fish, pasta, pizza, roasted vegetables (potatoes), as a marinade, tossed into a salad, as a crostini topping or swirled into plain Greek yogourt as a vegetable dip.
INGREDIENTS SERVES 4-6 PEOPLE
- 1 medium cauliflower (including stem) cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium Ontario onion, sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 4 cups unsalted homemade or store bought chicken stock
- 5 small Ontario white potatoes, skins on, sliced into rounds
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ bunch Italian/flat leaf parsley leaves, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Zest of 1 Meyer or regular lemon
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch sea salt
- Mix all ingredients together well in a small bowl. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for other uses listed above. Keeps for 2-3 days.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. In a medium bowl toss cauliflower with olive oil. Spread cauliflower out evenly on a lined baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes until nicely browned. Toss cauliflower halfway through cooking.
- In a large pot over medium high heat melt butter. Add onions, garlic and celery and stir frequently. Cook until softened and translucent, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, bay leaf and nutmeg to pot, bring to a boil for a few minutes. Add potatoes and roasted cauliflower and cook until all the vegetables are done, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pot from stove, allow to cool slightly. Remove and toss out bay leaf. Ladle soup mixture into a Vitamix or other high speed blender or food processor. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Add a little extra stock or dairy if you wish. Reheat soup to desired temperature, ladle into bowls and garnish with Gremolata. This soup tastes even better as it sits for a day or more so feel free to make an extra batch and freeze for future use.