Fresh Ontario Asparagus is just around the corner! What better way to celebrate spring than to enjoy this healthy and tasty flowering perennial. Asparagus is high in Vitamin K, B Vitamins and Folate. It is also anti-inflammatory containing Vitamin C, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E, Zinc, Manganese and Selenium. It works as a detoxifier that may protect against certain cancers. Low in calories and sodium. May be eaten raw or cooked.
- 2 bunches (approx. 60 spears) of fresh asparagus, trimmed 1 inch
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ c. grated parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 fresh Meyer lemon (both the peel and juice) as garnish
DIRECTIONS (SERVES 6-8 PEOPLE)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place Asparagus loosely in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast In oven for 15-20 min. until tender.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with Parmesan and grated lemon peel, return to oven for 5 min.
- Arrange spears on a large platter and garnish with lemon juice just before serving.